Sunday, June 22, 2014

ACE Summer School - Recycled Arts -Dale Chuily


Dale Chihuly


In our ACE summer school enrichment program (2nd, 3rd & 4th graders) the theme this year is careers.  I chose Recycling Careers or Green Careers.  Art lends itself to almost anything!  I have always wanted to do a unit on recycling so after I discussed "Green" careers, I began with a project I found in a School Arts magazine.  We looked at a YouTube demonstration of Dale Chihuly, a glass blowing artist.   We used permanent markers to color on plastic plates and cups (that's the part that could be from recycled materials).  Then the students took turns using a heat gun and tongs to melt and shape their sculpture.
Coloring...
Shaping...


Finished products...

Each one is different.  The kids loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment